The number one issue that confronts a small office is the multiplicity of files to be created, stored and retrieved on a daily basis. Since most files are generated and/or stored electronically these days, the need is to have a dependable electronic file management system that is capable to handling the range of tasks that are performed on the files or documents. File management system software attempts to meet this need of small offices.
The electronic system that is used by an application to organize and keep track of files is called file management software. Traditional file management software lets you create a new file, edit an existing file, and save a file. It lets you manage files with the ability to group them into folders. It maintains a hierarchical file system that uses directories/folders to organize files into a tree structure.
Explorer is the default file manager available in MS Windows.
File management is a ‘necessary evil’ associated with computers. It’s not very different from looking through a heap of papers on your desk. Imagine a Windows folder with hundreds of files; how slow to respond it becomes, making it almost impossible to locate a file unless you search for it!
When you find a paper document on the desk, you can at least lay your hand on it, as it is not stored with a particular name, reading which you then open the document. In a file system, when you search you may find files with similar names and then you will have to open each file to confirm if that was the file you were looking for, unless you know the exact name that has been assigned to the file.
There is a better alternative to a plain file management system, however – document management. Look at some of the features and benefits of using a document management solution:
- Indexing: Document management software like Sohodox brings the feature of adding indexing data to your documents. For example, you can store an Invoice with the names of the party, the amount, the date and any other piece of information as indexes. This makes it highly searchable. You can combine multiple search criteria like party name and the amount to quickly locate the invoice.
- Links: One of the benefits of using Sohodox is that it helps you save time by allowing you to link one document with another. To remember which Invoice was paid for using which check, you can simply link the check and invoice. You could also link multiple invoices with a single check or with multiple checks, as the case may be.
- Database: As against a file management system, document management software is backed by the speed and the stability of a database.
- Security: Document management software can help control access to documents by providing security at different levels.
- Version Control: Some document management applications let you maintain multiple versions of the same document. Versioning is not commonly available in file management. Globodox, the sister brand of Sohodox, sports this feature. Version control is normally used by large teams where a document typically passes through several hands and is prone to being edited a number of times.
In addition to the above, there are several reasons a small office should use a document management system like Sohodox. If you have a small office, you can get started with document management now. Simply download the 14-day free trial and start managing your documents more effectively.